September 21, 2017

7321 N 10th St.

Phoenix, AZ 85020


Sunday Worship

Contemporary

9:00 am


Traditional

10:30 am


African

11:30 am


Calendar


Join Us!


Key Request


Submit an Estimate of Giving


Follow Us on 

Facebook

 


 

 

Orangewood Presbyterian Church - FaithStreet

Members Login



Last month September 2017 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 35 1 2
week 36 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
week 37 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
week 38 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
week 39 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Church History

Orangewood Presbyterian Church, founded in 1953, has a rich history.

In the beginning, Orangewood was a vision of Reverend Doug Vance, First Arizona Synod Executive. As the result of a study by representatives of the Board of National Missions, a priority was given for the development of a new church in the north central Phoenix area to serve the Presbyterian people living here.

Subsequently, a call was extended to Reverend and Mrs. Leonard “Pat” Patterson. They arrived September 1st, 1953, and the following week, Rev. Patterson, accompanied by Reverend Morton of the Board of National Missions, began a door-to-door survey of the district.  Services began on September 20th in the Patterson home and a few weeks later were transferred to the Richard C. Simis School. The group was officially organized as a Presbyterian Church on December 13th, 1953, with 100 members.

During Orangewood’s early years, the Church was in the country surrounded by citrus groves in an area called “Orangewood.” The site chosen for the new church was in the 7400 block of North 10th Street. Mr. H. Wasser, an Elder of First Presbyterian Church, and owner of Wasser Nursery on 12th Street just north of Glendale Avenue deeded the church 3/4-acre; the church bought 1 1/4 acre for $5,000 with an option to buy an additional acre for $1,000.  Mr. Wasser gave $6,000 in land the first 2 years. When the transaction was completed in January of 1955, the church had secured three acres - the largest tract of land owned by any Presbyterian church in Phoenix. Later, in 1963 the church bought another acre for $13,000; 1/4 acre was set-aside for the Manse.

During the 1960’s the Reverend Sam Lindamood replaced Rev. Patterson, and the Robert Page family became central in organizing the music program. The current sanctuary was built, and many young families were part of the Church and children’s programs (such as the “Wednesday School” program) and several children’s choirs were popular. The youth program flourished as well.

The 1970’s saw Rev. Lindamood replaced by Reverend Kenneth Gates. During the conflict of the Gates period a number of families left Orangewood to form Sunrise Presbyterian Church, and eventually the Presbytery stepped in to remove Rev. Gates and dissolve the Session.  Rev. Mark Koehler was assigned as the interim pastor.

The late ‘70’s brought Reverend Dale Bracey to Orangewood. The Church felt the need to focus on the youth and worked hard to develop a vibrant program called the Youth Ministry Pilot Project. There was also a strong adult education program and a thorough training program for new Deacons and Elders. The Church used small groups to spearhead the adult education effort. Stephen Ministry and marriage enrichment courses were also successful. In 1990, a multipurpose social building was built, and named after Joyce and Robert Page, who had retired after 25 years of outstanding music leadership at Orangewood.

Reverend Brian Paulson came to Orangewood in the early ‘90’s and led the Church until early 2004. During this time, the Health Ministry Council was developed, and regular homebuilding mission trips to Puerto Penasco (aka Rocky Point), Mexico was initiated. The Church purchased and dedicated a new pipe organ toward the latter part of the ‘90’s and began work which would result in the dedication of a new Columbarium/Memorial Garden in 2000. A contemporary service was added in 1998 and has become an integral part of our Sunday mornings and a wonderful tool for reaching younger generations with the love of God.

The Rev. Kenneth G. Page became the pastor of Orangewood in June of 2006. In May of 2007, the congregation began a Capital Campaign, exceeding the pledge goal of $750,000 within a month. General renewing and refreshing of the campus was the result.

The Rev. Tully Fletcher was called in 2008 as the Associate Pastor for Youth and Community Outreach. Tully has helped to lead Orangewood beyond its own doors out into our communities. 

 

Orangewood adopted a new mission statement in 2011:

 

 

A river of God’s love flowing
into the dry places of our communities

 

Driving Principles

  • Jesus Christ is already at work in our communities; we seek to join in that work.
  • Our communities are wherever God plants us: Monday through Saturday – as well as Sunday.
  • We create servant relationships with our communities, to become better disciples of Jesus Christ. 

 

Ezekiel 47:12

 On the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing."